Reflecting on my Reading Habits



The pictures shared on the platform show us people reading in different contexts, and apparently different materials. In picture 4, primary students are reading what seem to be the books – perhaps graded readers – they have been assigned in class. In this case, therefore, their teacher might have chosen the book for them. The people appearing in the other pictures, in contrast, are reading books (an e-book, actually, in picture 3; and a newspaper in picture 5) which have probably been chosen by themselves.     

From what I can gather, I’d say that the readers in picture 1 might be feeling relaxed and engaged in their reading, as they are sitting on comfortable armchairs in the quiet and peaceful atmosphere that a library usually offers. The readers in picture 2 could be feeling curiosity and “connection”, since they are both sharing the same book and seem to be discovering something new together. In pictures 3 and 5, I think that reading offers these people the opportunity to isolate themselves from the world outside, so, to me, these people might be feeling literally involved in their books. As for picture 4, the one showing students reading at school, I guess they must be feeling curiousity on the one hand, but on the other hand, they might be feeling a bit nervous or even tense, given the context. After all, they are reading their books because they’re expected to do so.

Speaking about myself, picture number 2 reminds me of my first contact with reading in general. It dates back to my early childhood, when my mum used to read (or invent!) a tale for me every night, just before going to sleep. I guess that contributed to developing my love for reading – both in L1 and L2 – and for learning/teaching s as well.

As a general rule, I read the same kind of books/materials both in Spanish (L1) and English (my L2). That means I read novels, plays, magazines, articles (related to my work)…and short stories, which I love! When it comes to choosing my reading materials, I always try to find something (normally, paper books) that really motivates me, as I believe that motivation always makes reading far more enjoyable.  Nowadays, I don’t read as much as I’d like due to my work and other responsibilities. Anyway, when I find the time to do so, I really enjoy it.    




Comentarios

  1. Very nice entry, I totally agree with you.
    As far as motivation is concerned, I just have to add that it is not only the key to choose and enjoy what you read, but also to relate it to your emotions and grasp the best of it. However, I sometimes have enjoyed things that I would have never chosen myself, as I'm always trying to keep an open mind! Although in the last few years, I carefully choose where I spend my efforts.
    Nice entry!! Thanks,

    ResponderEliminar

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares de este blog

A Genial Approach to Speaking Practice through the Use of Genial.ly

Getting inspiration