Chelsea Hotel's Uncertain Future 

If you want to learn more about the world-famous Chelsea Hotel and its future, watch this video and answer the given comprehension questions: 

Chelsea Hotel

In order to prepare my listening task with Edpuzzle, I decided to use a video about Chelsea Hotel and its uncertain future. Taken as it is from a BBC documentary, I chose it in the hope that my students would find it appealing and interesting enough. Also, something I took into account when selecting this specific video was the topic it deals with: right now my students are learning about travelling and tourism (including subtopics like accommodation), so I felt that this video matched our needs.  

The main objectives set for this task include: to listen for specific detail, to develop top-down and bottom-up strategies, to promote autonomous learning, to widen vocabulary related to the topic dealt with, and to learn about the world-famous Chelsea Hotel.      

As a pre-listening activity, I wrote the expression “Hotel Chelsea” on the board and elicited information about it from my students, as a brainstorming activity. While listening to their ideas, I wrote on the board any relevant expressions and interesting vocabulary items that they used. After that, I asked them to watch this video at home and do the listening comprehension task I prepared.

The part that students most liked was watching the video at home and being able to pause it, read the given comprehension questions or focus on a specific fragment that they might have found difficult as many times as they needed to. This way, they actually benefited from autonomous learning.         

We checked together the answers to this listening task in class, in our next English session. After that, as a post-listening activity, I asked them to reflect on what they learned about Chelsea Hotel, and to make predictions about its future.

To improve this task, I think next time I’d provide my students with the solutions to the comprehension questions, so that they can check them at home. This would save me more time and I could focus on other questions in class.     

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Reflecting on my Reading Habits

A Genial Approach to Speaking Practice through the Use of Genial.ly

Getting inspiration